emma b. says

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

My Grinch is bigger than your Grinch

I think I have made my distaste for the season abundantly clear. And I have nothing further to add. So I intend to amuse with a random sampling of emails that I have sent from work today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
my freshman year of college I took a sociology class taught by a black professor who maintained that the divide between the races would be bridged before the divide between the sexes. It was a novel idea to my eighteen year old self who didn't think there was this gulf, as I had not been raised that way. Over the years I have witnessed this inequality, professionally, but not really personally, because I still think that men and women are fundamentally different creatures and as you say what we bring to each other is exchange, parity, separate but equal.

it was one of my high school girlfriends who introduced me to the Dirty Sanchez, she was saying that she and her husband had been telling the DS to some friends while in Hawaii and the next morning came into the room with a chocolate moustache. We roared. I think what is charming about these jokes is a sort of lack of malice, a complicit filthiness that appeals to the latent 13 year old boy in all of us.

Of course I could be dead wrong. Maybe I am just choosing to ignore the greater implications of debasement as sexual politics.

what I liked about that site was specifically the lack of razors in hoohoos and woodchippers, but acknowledging that sex is about exchange, messy and dirty and fun.

this is not to dismiss the crimes committed against women all over the world, excision comes to mind in sub-saharan africa... am I mistaken to see that as a separate issue of acculturation or maybe I am just a poor feminist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hear that snap, crackle, pop - no it's not cereal it's my synapses misfiring...

M just had me read one of Cooke's letter from America from 1956 entitled "Politics and the Human Animal"... some quotes

"Nobody has sharpened this point better, in my view, than the late Justice Holmes when he said that the purpose of civilized argument between friends is to arrive at that point where you agree that some day it might be necessary to shoot each other. Until that day is unavoidable, 'the democratic process', both in public and in private, is no more but no less than an acceptance of the notion that in important issues you may be wrong"

and

"Politics will undoubtedly bedevil us all till the day we die, but... even the prospect of early annihilation should not keep us from making the most of our days on this unhappy planet. In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway"

and a snatch of a Frost poem in the essay

"Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favour fire.

But if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice."

The more things change, the more they stay the same
Let us eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I really lekke shecalit Eistir binniis, beet I hite brussil sproows

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think it's amazing because it underscores the tenuous nature of civility, the prospect of violence always looms large.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
heehhhh, raughhhhh, herrrrmmmhhh
that's zombie for non, j'y crois pas!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
just rereading the mos blog

http://www.savemouse.com/arcife_feb2003.htm

hulee feckeeng crapp!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mittens instead of poufs!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cannot stop playing dragon game - need. help

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am having a Lost in Translation moment - frankly I think it would be (!!!) huge...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home